EU Migration Map

Click on a country to discover the proportion of workers from other EU nations, based on skill levels

Poland Germany United Kingdom France Greece Austria Czech Republic Spain Sweden Finland Italy Estonia Denmark Netherlands Ireland Belgium Malta Portugal Luxembourg Cyprus
Low-skilled EU migrants
Medium-skilled EU migrants
Highly-skilled EU migrants

Proportion of highly-skilled workers
based on country of origin

Living and working
in Switzerland

In Switzerland, in order to live, visit, or work you may need to apply for a visa or other permit. Different rules apply for European citizens than those who move to Switzerland from outside of Europe.

Switzerland is not part of the EU, but it is part of the European Free Trade Association along with Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway. The EEA (European Economic Area) acts as a mediator between all the countries of the EU and the EFTA.

Under the Freedom of Movement Act, it is established that almost all nationals from countries in the EU or EFTA can move to Switzerland, although they might have to fill in an application form to register to work and apply for residence permits for stays that last over three months.

Almost everyone outside the EU or EFTA needs a visa to enter Switzerland. Every person who's not a Swiss citizen and plans to stay in Switzerland for longer than 90 days needs a residence permit. In order to get a residence permit, you have to apply to the local cantonal migration offices where you intend to live. In order to work in Switzerland, non-EU/EFTA citizens will need to obtain a special residence permit that grants authorisation. The acceptance/rejection of such authorisation is usually subjected to a number of factors such as existing work quotas, your educational level, and work experience.