Swiss State Pension
Frequently Asked Questions

At the chosen retirement age EU expatriates will report their earnings in other qualifying EEA countries (including Switzerland) to their State pension office together with the relevant insurance number. If contributions were made over more than 12 months in a given country that country will then directly pay a pension to the individual based on the contributions that were made.

You cannot elect to do this. However if the amount of pension is very low and does not justify the admin costs, the Pension office can choose to pay out a capital lump sum instead of a regular pension.

In Switzerland, retirement can occur between 60 and 70. 65 is default for men, 60 for women. The later you retire the more pension you get.

Yes, if you die your spouse receives a spouse's pension (if you have contributed for at least 12 months).

You need to apply to the State Pension (AHV) Office with your AHV number, which will have been given to you when you were first employed in Switzerland. You can apply on line and the report is free of charge once every five years.

Swiss state pension, together with some cover for disability pension is funded via a premium (10.25% of gross salary in 2017) paid equally by the employer and employee.

If you have any further questions please don't hesitate to contact us. We are always interested to know what people are concerned about regarding Swiss employment.

Please note the above information is provided without guarantee or warranty. Employment, tax and pension laws are dependent on your specific situation and can change quickly. To be sure of the facts always contact us directly for a verified up to date answer.


Bahnhofstrasse 11
CH-8302 Kloten